When the valves of the veins become dysfunctional as a result of constant heavy pressure, it results in the formation of varicose veins. Varicose veins are the swollen twisted veins that bulge out through the skin surface and create too much discomforts. These veins mostly appear on the legs due to high pressure on the veins of the lower body. Other factors such as obesity, wearing heels, pregnancy, etc.
Speaking of natural ways to treat varicose veins, fitness experts do recommend some yoga to prevent or manage varicose veins.
Yoga can help in treating varicose veins to a great. It may prove to cure the condition completely only in mild cases. Whereas in other relatively serious cases with extremely painful symptoms require medical treatment along with following the healthy routine of yoga on an everyday basis.
Here are the best yoga poses that prove to be immensely effective in treating the varicose veins.
Mountain Pose (Tadasana)- Tadasana is one of the simplest yet most effective yoga poses for varicose veins. It helps in the proper alignment of the body and tones the legs. It strengthens the knees and the thighs and helps alleviate the stress in the muscles of the lower body. This helps reduce the soreness and heaviness of varicose veins. Additionally, Tadasana also relieves the pressure on the veins in the legs and helps boost blood circulation throughout the body.
Steps to perform Mountain Pose:
- Start by standing erect, keeping your feet at a little distance from each other. Your hands should be on the side of your body.
- Keep the muscles of your thighs firm. Remember not to harden your lower abdomen.
- Inhale deeply, raise your arms and interlock your fingers together.
- Try to raise your heals and stand on your toes.
- Maintain the pose, hold your breath for 10 seconds and then release.
Boat Pose (Naukasana)- This yoga pose is known as the boat pose because the position of the hands and the legs resemble that of a V-shaped boat. Since in this pose, you elevate your legs, it helps the proper flow of blood towards the heart and prevents it from pooling inside the veins. Gravity does its job and reduces the pressure on the veins instantly. Moreover, it strengthens the muscles in your legs and core significantly and helps alleviate the pain and symptoms of varicose veins.
Steps to perform Boat Pose:
- Lie flat on a yoga mat, keeping your legs together. Your hands should rest on the sides.
- Inhale slowly and try to lift your legs upwards. Your legs should be straight.
- Raise your upper body and try to maintain a 45 degrees angle with your legs.
- Maintain the pose, hold your breath for about 20 seconds and then release.
Legs up the wall (Viparita Karani)- Viparita Karani is a simple yoga pose with amazing benefits for varicose veins. This yoga asana enhances blood circulation in the legs and also helps in the detoxification of the body. Moreover, it relieves pressure on the lower body and alleviates the discomforts of the swollen varicose veins.
Steps to perform Viparita Karani:
- Start by sitting across a wall.
- Next, gently raise your legs up the wall and lie down making a 90-degree angle with the floor.
- Stretch your arms out to the sides, keeping your palms facing upwards.
- Breathe slowly for a few minutes and then release.
Standing forward bend (Uttanasana)- Uttanasana is yet another amazing yoga asana for varicose veins. It increases blood circulation in the legs and strengthens the calves and thighs. It relieves the stress in the leg muscles and helps reduce the heaviness, pain and soreness of varicose veins.
Steps to perform Standing Forward Bend:
- Stand straight, with your hands resting on your hips.
- Inhale and while exhaling, bend your hips.
- Palace your hands on the floor next to your feet, keeping the feet parallel.
- Bend your upper body forward, stretch and then lift the tailbone.
- Maintain the post for a few seconds.
Fish pose (Matsyasana)- Matsyasana is probably one of the best yoga asanas for varicose veins and offers a wide variety of benefits. It reduces the cramps and soreness in the legs and relaxes the muscles of the lower body. It also regulates the flow of blood throughout the body and prevents the blood from accumulating inside the veins.
Steps to perform Fish Pose:
- Lie flat on the yoga mat. Your legs should be together and your hands should rest beside your body.
- Place your palms below your hips, facing downwards.
- Try to cross your legs in a manner such that the thighs and knees rest on the floor.
- Inhale and lift your torso and head up.
- Hold the position as long as you feel comfortable.
Wind relieving pose (Pawanmuktasana)- Pawanmuktasana is one of the best yoga asanas for people who have a sedentary lifestyle. This yoga pose helps circulate the stagnant blood in the body and prevents it from pooling. Moreover, it relaxes the muscles in the lower body and relieves the stress in the joints, knees and hips, thereby providing relief from the pain of varicose veins. Pawanmuktasana is also very effective in preventing deep vein thrombosis, which is a common complication of varicose veins.
Steps to perform Wind Relieving Pose:
- Lie on a yoga mat with your feet together and hands on the sides.
- Fold your knees and try to bring them close to your chest. Hold your knees with your hands.
- Lift your chest upwards and try to bring your nose closer to your knees.
- Hold the pose and breathe deeply for a few seconds, then release.
These aforementioned yoga poses can certainly be quite effective in managing the symptoms of varicose veins in mild cases. However, if you are looking for a permanent solution to the problem, you can consider laser varicose veins treatment.
Get permanent relief from varicose veins through laser treatment
Laser varicose veins treatment is a modern and 100% safe procedure. It cures varicose veins permanently without inflicting any pain at all. The recovery is fast and there is no risk of complications after the surgery.
If you are struggling with the troubles of varicose veins and are looking for a reliable healthcare provider, you can consult Pristyn Care. They are associated with the best vascular specialists in Delhi and other Indian cities and have a great success rate in treating varicose veins patients. Just give them a call, book an appointment with one of their specialists and receive the best treatment for varicose veins.
Varicose veins can be very discomforting but a healthy and active lifestyle can go a long way in reducing these discomforts for you. Along with an active routine, it is important to monitor your diet and make sure that you eat only nutritious foods. Also, seeking medical attention is equally important to ensure that no complications occur.