Our world is full of sound, all of which contribute the diversity of our life. Then suddenly one day, there was crackling sounds in your ears, but naturally, they do not exist outside. These audible noises can be big or small, high or low and you can hear them in one or two ears. In some cases, they are so loud that you cannot hear the real noises outside. Not only does this situation affect your daily activities but also it affects the quality of your life.
So, what causes crackling sound in ears and what are ways on how to get rid of crackling sound in the ears? The following information will answer the questions above.
Causes of crackling sound in ears
In anatomical structure, there are tens of thousands of auditory hair cells in the inner ear operating in the bioelectric mechanism. On the surface of the auditory hair cells are tiny hairs. Frequently, the hairs will move under the pressure of the sound waves from the outside. This movement makes the auditory hair cells to emit a stream of electrical energy to the auditory nerve fibers, and these signals are transmitted to the brain. The brain analyzes them and realizes that these are the sounds, that is, we hear them.
Conversely, if these hair threads are damaged, they will move in any direction. Hence, the auditory cells send abnormal signals to the brain, which cause the brain to receive strange sounds including cracking sounds in ears.
The appearance of crackling sounds in the ears is not a disease but an expression of a variety of causes as follows:
- Aging of the hearing organ due to old age, commonly in the people at the age of over 60.
- Injury to the inner ear due to the loud, sharp or sudden noise, hearing a long time continuously from day to day.
- Injury to head, face or neck damaging the inner ear.
- External ear canal cholesteatoma.
- The use of some long-term drugs such as aspirin, streptomycin, gentamycin, etc., which harm auditory hair cells.
- Circulatory system diseases can cause crackling sounds in your ears, for instance, atherosclerosis, accumulation of cholesterol as well as other fatty substances, causing large blood vessels near the middle ear and inner ear. These blood vessels decrease in elasticity, making the bloodstream flows so strong that the ear can hear.
- Hypertension, combined with other factors such as stress, alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, can cause the condition to get worse.
- Blood flow is swirled because the artery or vein is narrow or folded, making a noise.
- Artery and vein malformations cause crackling in the area.
- Tinnitus can be a symptom of the tumor in the head or neck.
- Osteoarthritis such as neck vertebrae
- Diseases related to ear, nose, and throat such as external otitis, otitis media, internal otitis, ear canal fungus, atrial eczema, inflammation of cranial nerve VIII.
How to get rid of crackling sound in the ears
As can be seen above, tinnitus can be caused by different causes. For every cause, there are different ways to cure it. It is not a life-threatening symptom, but if it is not treated promptly and definitively, it can cause permanent hearing loss.
Here are simple ways on how to get rid of crackling sound in ears you can refer and follow at home.
Home remedies for tinnitus treatment
Ginger has been used as a natural herb for a long time. Many uses of ginger have been pointed out by physicians such as curing kidney stones, strengthening the immune system of the body, kill bacteria. Not just that, it also improves the absorption of vitamins and nutrients needed to reduce crackling sound in the ears.
- Put a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger into a cup of boiling water and steep it for ten minutes.
- Separate ginger from the water, add a bit honey and drink the ginger tea when it is still warm.
- Consume this tea twice or three times daily for a couple of days to reduce the symptoms of tinnitus.
Onions have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties so it can weaken the bacteria that cause pain so quickly that it will ease your ear pain. From that, crackling sound in your ears will disappear gradually.
- Peel an onion, bray it and wrap it with a small cloth.
- Put it in the ear, stay it overnight and take it out next morning.
Alternatively, you can follow the method below.
- Squeeze the juice from a peeled onion and put it in a cup.
- Heat it in a microwave for one minute.
- Drip two or three drops of the onion juice into the ear.
- Leave it still for some minutes, then let the juice out of the ear.
- Do it several times a week to get the desired result.
If you have a crackling sound in your ear caused by ear infections, garlic is a natural remedy for you. Allicin, a substance in garlic, is thought to be useful in the fight against ear infections.
- Chop two garlic cloves and mix it with two teaspoons of sesame oil in a cup.
- Put it in the microwave to heat for one minute.
- Let it cool, get the crushed garlic out of the oil and then put some drops of the oil into the ear.
- Do it once a day before bedtime and apply it for one week.
Additionally, eating raw garlic is a useful way on how to get rid of crackling in the ears. However, garlic can interfere with the activity of antibiotics, so only eat garlic when permitted by the doctor.
- Holy basil
Antibacterial properties of holy basil help to fight against bacteria causing diseases with the symptom of tinnitus.
- Crush an appropriate amount of holy basil leaves finely.
- Put this paste into a thin cloth and squeeze the juice.
- Heat the basil juice by microwave for one minute.
- When it’s warm, drop two or three drops of the basil juice in the ear.
- Do this twice a day for about five days to relieve crackling sound in your ears.
- Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is known for treating ear infections causing noises in your ears thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties.
- Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and a bit honey to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Consume it two or three times a day till the feeling of crackling sound in your ears disappears.
Other methods stopping crackling sound in your ears
- Rubbing your ears
- Place your palms of your hands on both ears, rub your ears slowly and gently in circular motion for one minute until they are warm.
- Next, use your middle fingers to cover your ear-holes and leave them out immediately. Repeat it fifty times to get the best result.
- Popping your ears
- Place your palms of your hands on both ears, your fingers on the back of your neck, holding your head. Open your palms and then close them, do it thirty times.
- Then, use your index and middle fingers to tap on the back of the ears about thirty times.
- Pulling your ears
- Put your right hand over the top of the head, use your thumb, forefinger, and middle finger to pull your left ear upward 108 times.
- Similarly, continue doing it with your left hand and right ears.
Living habits controlling crackling sound in your ears
- Avoiding stimulants: You should avoid anything that can exacerbate your condition such as loud noise, caffeine, and nicotine.
- Managing stress and fatigue: Stress and fatigue is one of the main factors that make your condition worse. Controlling stress and fatigue will have significant effects.
- Avoiding or reducing alcohol intake: Drinking alcohol can lead to dilating blood vessels, especially in the inner ear area and worsens your symptoms.
- Choosing the right treatment: It includes sound therapy, counseling (helping to understand the sign of crackling sound in ears better), cognitive behavioral therapy (changing your perception of crackling sound in the ears), anti-buzzing ear therapy (restricting the way your brain responds to tinnitus).
Author Bio: JASMINE HE
Being interested in health and beauty as well as having a strong desire for the well-being, I have a broad knowledge of this area after having the patience to learn and experience it for a couple of years. Along with my current education job, I have now been working as a freelance writer on health and beauty.