For patients who are HIV positive, it is a must that you pay immediate attention to the nutrition that is required by your body, as stated by https://www.webmd.com. The reason behind this is that your body is going to go through several important changes because of the medications that you are consuming as well as the disease. For instance, you can lose a lot of weight, suffer from diarrhea, and be a victim of several other unwanted infections. One more change that your body goes through is lipodystrophy, which is responsible for causing changes to the body shape and also increases the level of cholesterol. When you concentrate on improving your diet, you can work towards improving your health. Let’s discuss the Nutrition Tips for HIV Patients.
How HIV and nutrition are linked
In case if you are suffering from HIV, good nutrition will be responsible for having numerous benefits. Good nutrition can:
- Improve the quality of your life by providing necessary nutrients to the body.
- Keeps the immune system strong so that fighting diseases becomes easy.
- It helps in managing the complications as well as symptoms associated with HIV.
- It allows your body to process all the medications and controls the side effects.
For detecting HIV, certain tests will be conducted and centrifugation is an important method associated with the tests. For this, only the best centrifuge is used.
Principles associated with nutrition and HIV
The principles associated with healthy eating are going to be great for you especially if you are suffering from HIV. Given below is a list of the principles that you should know:
- Make sure that you are eating a diet that is high in fruits and vegetables. Also, ensure that legumes and whole grains are a part of your diet.
- Choose low fat and lean protein sources.
- Limit intake of soft drinks, sweets, and foods that have sugar added.
- Do not forget to include carbohydrates, proteins, and the required amount of fat in almost all the snacks as well as meals.
Given below is a list of the important things or the Nutrition Tips for HIV Patients that you should consider to make your eating plan healthy.
Calories are responsible for providing the necessary energy required by your body to function properly. You need to consume around 17 calories, if you are maintaining the body weight, consume around 25 calories if you are trying to lose weight and 20 calories in case if you are suffering from opportunistic infections.
Protein is responsible for building muscles, the immune system, and also helps in taking care of the organs. To make sure that you are getting the right quantity of protein, you need to follow the following tips:
Make sure that you are eating 150 grams of protein per day if you are a man.
- Eat at least 100 grams per day, if you are a woman.
- If you are suffering from kidney problems, do not put excess stress on the kidneys by consuming excess proteins.
- Choose fish, skinless chicken breast, low-fat dairy products, etc., to maintain your fitness.
- To get the necessary protein, you can also spread butter on vegetables, fruits, and toasts.
Whether you are HIV positive or you are suffering from any other disease, you must check your diet. Ensure that you are following the steps that have been mentioned above so that you can take the ideal care of your health.
Author Bio: Anthony Karen is a health expert who has been running many health seminars and public discussions. She also manages her blog and reviews the health-related details provided by authentic sources